I run a quilling group called Contemporary Quilling and we produce a movie every Saturday night so our members can learn new things and we can interact as "in person" as it gets over the internet. It's a great way of connecting with other quillers and we have a fantastic time every single day.
Last weekend our Movie Night topic was Vortex Coils and my moderator Zahra made a tutorial video. Well we all tried it out and suddenly I found myself using up a bunch of sample paper creating these beautiful rose-colored vortexes. They built up and built up and suddenly I had to find a way to use them. The first half of the night I turned them into a photographic subject and took a few hundred shots of them from various angles and even some with them piled up in a 3D collage.
Needless to say, I've decided that the coils are so photogenic that I'm planning to do an entire line of prints - starting with these. I cannot wait to start that project!
I sat around for hour trying to figure out how to use them and eventually started to see flowers in them. I worked up a background of "grass" with three colors of On Edge paper from Little Circles to test it out and once I placed the v-coils on it, I knew that it was going to work.
My only issue was the white background which I didn't think I could fill in completely. So I developed an entirely new technique to underpaint after pieces have already been placed. I was surprised it worked so well! Now I know exactly how to fill in backgrounds without disturbing glue or paper that's already fixed. It also works to paint the paper strips themselves, and in this piece I went a little crazy and painted a gradient on the strips. I really love the result.