This afternoon’s project was a(nother) quilled Dragonfly. This time it has thicker wings at the request of the customer. The entire piece is 5×7 and it is mounted on 140lb white watercolor paper.
The entire dragonfly was made using 1/4″ quilling strips (except the antennae). The wings were created using three shades of orange and three shades of purple, shaped into a simple teardrop. The thorax was made from tight coils sized to fit Quilled Creations Mini Mold size E. The tail end was just the darkest shade of purple and the darkest shade of orange shaped into a teardrop that I pinched when I glued it down so it would keep it’s pointed shape. I used 1/8″ dark gray strips in a tailed loose coil for the antennae.
All strips lengths are based on the length of the standard solid quilling strips from Quilled Creations. I don’t measure, I use fractions.
- 1/4 strip of each – Dark purple, medium purple
- 1/2 strip of each – Light purple, light orange
- Whole strip of each – Medium orange, dark orange
- 1/4 strip of each – Dark purple, medium purple, light purple
- 1/2 strip of each – Light orange, medium orange, dark orange
- 1/2 strip of each – Dark purple, dark orange